Sunday, March 18, 2012

Engineering:lessons for life


Getting into an engineering college was my dream when I completed my class 10th board exams (mind it that till that time I had not faced the horrors of differential calculus or brutal attacks of pulley-wedge problems).Still somewhat like an injured war soldier I reached the end of my 2 years as a science student. Now to become an engineer I needed to crack the entrance exams but on an occasion when my AIEEE rank resembled my cell phone no, this dream was far from true. Still at the end I was able to crack an entrance test and was able to get into a college of some repute. (And all is well that ends well…no in this case it’s starting of the worse)

And here I was sitting in my first engineering class and having an enthusiasm of starting my engineering life and converting myself into a tech genius like Mark Zuckerburg or Larry Page (which lowered down at the end of first semester: P).Two months gone and I was the nowhere being near a Zuckerburg but at least I mastered the art of playing FIFA.The whole enthusiasm was down and I was wondering whether I dreamt it the wrong way!!
 
But after being in an engineering college for over two years I have learnt that whether you learn the concepts of electrical machines or Fourier theorem or not, you will at least get the lessons for life which will help you in your life forever and will always make you remember your ALMA MATER!!!
Here is what you will be learning in an engineering life (and all the 10 pointers, please go away, there’s nothing that will be of your use)-

1. First of all as mentioned by Bill Gates also “you will be learning time management”. Because in an engineering college you will be solving as many maths questions one night before an exam which if you would have solved few years before you would have topped IITJEE.

2. You will be learning multitasking. Engineering students do at least 2-3 tasks at a time. An engineering student will be chatting online to a girl who he wants to woo, at the same time he will be playing CS on the same system and at the same time he will be modifying and then coping an assignment so that the professors are not able to know that he has copied (you see we keep ourselves more busy than Ratan Tata).

3. An engineering students doesn’t get disheartened if he scores an F in his semester exams but he is a failure in life if he is unable to unblock the torrent for American sitcoms. There is no use of his studying the engineering if he is unable to open the proxy setting of the sites banned by the college (Yes boys these are the same sites which you are thinking of: P).So after you pass out from an engineering college, you need not to worry about these blocking and stuff. You become an unofficial hacker!

4. Marking a proxy in a class of a strict professor is tougher than being a Rajnikant (actually Rajnikanth was an engineer before he became Rajnikanth: P).



5. You will be able to go without food at stretches and will be able to live in areas of water scarcity as you will be getting into a habit of going without food and without bathing (and still looking fresh on a date with a girl).

And the list goes on but truly an engineering life does prepare you for the challenges coming ahead in life. It’s not just a four year degree it will be a life changing experience, rather a personality development course in which you will be making friends of your lifetime. You will be astonished to see the change in you after these four years. So make the best use of these years.

So proud to be an engineer!!!

And yes,i dreamt it the right way,so no sorrows. 


Best of luck.

1 comment: